Mission, Vision, Guiding Principles and Values
Northwestern Health Sciences University prepares and serves the next generation of professionals and leaders to become vital contributors to the delivery and advancement of health care. Our mission is accomplished through educational excellence, innovative research, evidence-informed patient-centered care, public health advocacy and collaborative community engagement.
Our graduates will be vital contributors to the delivery and advancement of health care. This is realized through a rigorous and outstanding educational and student life experience emphasizing critical thinking, lifelong learning and leadership development.
Specifically, we will:
- Transform our students into healthcare professionals who will demonstrate excellence in patient care, focused on the restoration and preservation of health, prevention of disease, and improvement in the quality of life.
- Conduct high quality research that significantly impacts health care.
- Offer comprehensive and diverse clinical experiences and services that model excellence in health care in preparing students for evidence-informed, interdisciplinary and patient-centered practices.
- Provide leadership and advocacy for the scientific foundation and social advancement of our healthcare professions.
- Engage in meaningful relationships with social service agencies, educational institutions, health systems, and corporate and other community partners that ensure a robust educational experience and advance our national visibility and reputation.
University Guiding Principles
- We value the strength of a shared mission and vision that guides planning and activities.
- We promote the highest ethical principles in life and practice.
- We provide programs and services that are student and patient-centered.
- We support shared governance and collaboration among students, faculty, staff and administration.
- We are innovative, progressive and responsive in meeting the needs of our stakeholders.
- We use continuous quality improvement and best practices to inform decision-making.
- We rely on research, clinical experience and patient preferences to inform academic and clinical programs.
- We value diversity and cultural competency.
- We practice fiscal responsibility and prudent resource allocation.
- We recognize that health comes from within and value the importance of treating the whole person, assisting innate healing, and promoting health and wellness and disease prevention.
Our value statements identify ways in which University community members may strive to interact with each other in line with our institutional mission, vision and guiding principles. They are intended to provide ways that employees and other community members can act on and energize what we say is important to us.
- Integrity - We believe honesty, trust and integrity are essential qualities and we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards.
- Compassion - We believe self-awareness and humility are important strengths and we embody empathy and compassion.
- Innovation - We believe creativity, openness and risk-taking promote opportunities for growth.
- Respect - We believe each person deserves to be treated with dignity and respect and we value the diverse experiences and backgrounds that make our organization strong and vibrant.
- Excellence - We believe in excellence and professionalism and we take pride in providing the highest quality education, patient care and service.