Flexible Spending Account

Page Menu

Summary and plan information

Flexible Spending Account allow employees to make payroll deductions to a pre-tax account and use this money to pay for dependent care expenses or healthcare expenses (medical/dental/vision) not covered by insurance. It also allows for certain insurance premiums to be automatically deducted from the employee's paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Employees must use this money during the current calendar year or they will lose it.

Regular full time and regular part time (20+ hrs/week) employees become eligible to participate in the plan during open enrollment each calendar year and should contact Human Resources

Flexible Spending Account covers:

  • Employee -The employee may deduct medical expenses paid for oneself.
  • Spouse - The employee may include medical expenses paid for the employee’s spouse. The employee must have been married, and the medical expenses incurred during the Plan Year.
  • Dependents - A person whom you can claim as a dependent on your federal income tax return. See DEFINITIONS in the Summary Plan Description.

Dependent care expenses

To be eligible for reimbursement, a dependent care expense must meet the following requirements:

If you are a single parent:
  • Care must be necessary in order for you to work.
If you are a married parent:
  • Care must be necessary in order for you to work and for your spouse to work, to seek work, or to attend school full time.
  • The amount to be reimbursed must not be greater than your annual earned income or your spouses' annual earned income, whichever is lower.
If the dependent is a child the following rules apply:
  • Only expenses incurred for the care of your child from birth through age 12 will be eligible.
  • Care may be provided either inside or outside your home, but it may not be provided by anyone considered your dependent and for whom you can claim an exemption for income tax purposes.
  • If care is provided by your child who is not considered a dependent for income tax purposes, such child must be age 19 or older by the end of the calendar year.
  • If the care is provided by a facility that cares for more than six children, the facility must be licensed and must comply with all applicable state and local requirements.
  • You must have legal custody of the child and they must regularly spend at least 8 hours per day in your home.
If the dependent is an adult, the following rules apply:
  • The individual must be physically or mentally incapable of caring for himself/herself.
  • The individual must be your spouse or a dependent for which you can claim as exemption (or could claim an exemption except the person had $3,000 or more of gross income).
  • Care may be provided either inside or outside your home. However, expenses outside your home (such as a nursing home) are eligible only if the dependent regularly spends at least 8 hours per day in your home.

For more information on how your Flexible Spending Account works, contact Human Resources.


Genesis Benefits
Phone: 952-653-4422
Claims fax: 952-460-1480

Back to Top