As a graduate of the School of Massage Therapy, you’ll be prepared to practice in a variety of settings – at the very time the profession is rapidly growing. Northwestern also prepares you to obtain national massage therapy certification - an important professional credential to have when you are seeking employment.
Our graduates are employed in a wide range of settings:
- Hospitals and hospices
- Rehabilitation centers
- Private practices
- Athletic clubs
- Professional sports teams
- Massage franchises
- Salons and spas
- Corporate wellness programs
- Cruise ships and hotels
Growing demand for massage therapists
Employment of massage therapists is expected to increase by 23 percent from 2012 to 2022 - faster than the average rate of growth for all occupations (Occupational Outlook Handbook - U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Factors contributing to this increase include an increased awareness of the benefits of massage therapy for overall health and well-being; expansion of massage therapy services into workplaces, hospitals, rehabilitation centers and assisted living facilities; and a rapidly expanding older population at risk for musculoskeletal and joint issues.
To achieve your career goals, we provide you with:
- Diverse clinical training – a variety of settings, patients and providers
- The necessary groundwork for employment – comprehensive business courses
- Preparation for national massage therapy certification
- Help with your employment search – career services office
- Opportunities for networking and professional development – alumni programs
- Ongoing skill building after graduation – continuing education courses