Northwestern provides students, faculty, and staff with a safe environment for study and work. The buildings are equipped with a closed circuit television system, security personnel in the evenings and on weekends, and an escort service.
- Escort service is available until 11:00 pm on weeknights and until 10:00 pm on weekends by calling ext. 232.
- Routine security functions are performed by physical plant employees Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm including enforcement of campus parking, campus card access system, and fire alarm system. Contract security personnel perform security functions Monday through Friday from 4:00 pm to 12:00 midnight and weekends from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Surveillance cameras operate 24 hours a day at key interior locations.
- The Physical Plant department or security personnel are responsible for first response to all emergency situations until assistance is available by local police, fire or medical agencies.
- All physical plant employees and contract security personnel must pass a background check in compliance with Minnesota regulations.
All areas of the main University campus are accessible during normal business hours Monday through Friday. Some areas of the campus such as the library, student lounge, and cafeteria are also accessible evenings and weekends.
- Outside doors to the campus are equipped with electronic card access control systems that keep a record of entrances and exits from the building.
- The campus building is accessible by card access only from 6:00 pm to 10:30 pm Monday through Friday and from 7:00 am to 9:30 pm Saturday and Sunday.
- Off-site clinics operated by the University are accessible during normal business hours Monday through Friday.
- Some of the clinics are on electronic alarm systems while closed.
Campus security report
Read the Campus Security Report (pdf).