Foundational SciencesPage Menu
Science courses for future healthcare professionals
If you are pursuing career in health care or exploring your options, our courses are designed to help you complete basic science requirements so you can achieve your goal.
Fulfill pre-professional requirements
Our courses allow you to fulfill prerequisite undergraduate coursework so you can apply to the professional school or graduate program of your choice. We offer a great opportunity for you to:
- Complete the science prerequisites required for your application
- Retake science courses to improve your GPA or enhance your application
- Review science coursework in preparation for the MCAT, VCAT or GRE
Explore a career in health care
If you are considering a career in health care, you can sign up for a science course or two to find out if this is a good fit. At Northwestern, you're able to:
- Pursue an education toward a healthcare career - although you may not have a sufficient science background
- Apply science credits from Northwestern to a bachelor's degree program
- Ease back into the classroom if you've been out of school for awhile
Accredited, transferable courses
Our fully accredited courses are transferable to other universities and meet several of the entrance requirements for:
- College of Chiropractic
- Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Program
- Graduate and professional school programs throughout the U.S., including the University of Minnesota
Convenient, accelerated science courses
Complete a two-course sequence in half the time
Many of our science courses are offered in accelerated format, allowing you to complete one full academic year of a two-course sequence in only one 15-week trimester - half the time it typically takes at other universities.
Accelerated science courses are conveniently offered every Fall, Winter and Summer trimester to help you meet application deadlines for professional schools. Late afternoon and evening courses are offered.
Non-accelerated courses also offered
Complete each of these courses in one 15-week trimester:
- ANAT1001 Anatomy and Physiology 1
- ANAT1002 Anatomy and Physiology 2 - prerequisite: Anatomy and Physiology 1
- BIOC3110 Biochemistry - prerequisite: Organic Chemistry 2
- BIOL2010 Introduction to Biology
- BIOL2020 Biology Today - prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL3010 Cell Biology - prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL4010 Microbiology - prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL4410 Genetics - prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- CHEM1001 Survey of Biological Chemistry
Academic advantages to support your success
Learn in a supportive, healthcare setting
Our university is dedicated to educating healthcare professionals and your academic success is important to us. That's why we offer a unique educational experience for you - an opportunity to learn in a dynamic, supportive environment - not a competitive pressure cooker.
Be mentored by experienced professors
Our courses are taught by professors with advanced degrees, not teaching assistants, so you learn from experts in their fields. Our professors are also approachable and available - they will mentor, advise and encourage you.
Enjoy individual attention in small classes
You'll appreciate our small class sizes and laboratory settings, where you can feel more comfortable asking questions and participating in discussions.
Take advantage of University services
Northwestern offers many convenient, on-campus services, including a library, cafeteria, fitness center, free parking, academic support services, student clubs and a University Health Service.
Learn more about our academic advantages.
We assist students studying:
- Pre-acupuncture/Oriental medicine
- Pre-osteopathic medicine
- Pre-physician's assistant
- Pre-veterinary medicine
- Pre-physical therapy
- Pre-occupational therapy
- Pre-dental hygiene
- Pre-mortuary science
- Pre-biomedical engineering
Tuition and fees
Review the current tuition and fees.
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid.