Skype for Business Info & Resources
Skype for Business
Connect, communicate and collaborate with the click of a button. It’s that simple.
With Skype for Business (Lync), it’s easy to stay connected at work and on the go. This university-wide communications platform, also known as Lync on Mac and mobile devices, allows faculty, staff, and students to communicate and collaborate in real-time via:
- Instant messaging – Send quick messages to an individual or group.
- Audio and video calls – Share audio and/or video with two or more participants.
- Desktop sharing – Share your screen and files with colleagues to collaborate and edit documents in real-time.
- Web conferencing – Schedule an online meeting, complete with screen sharing, virtual whiteboards and polls.
- Skype Meetings – Schedule and invite others using your calendar. Schedule the Skype meeting in the same calendar invite to provide a link and the ability to record the meeting session.
Skype for Business’s easy-to-use interface and special features help save time in your day-to-day work.
- Presence – Real-time presence information shows who is online and if they are available.
- Document sharing – Drag and drop documents directly into the message window for easy file sharing.
- Conversation history – Skype saves all instant message conversations in your NWHSU email account for future reference. You can find it in a folder called Conversation History.
- Web App – Invite people outside of NWHSU to meetings with browser-based, available-anywhere access.
Skype for Business or Lync?
Microsoft is currently rebranding Lync as Skype for Business. All versions work together seamlessly, but during the transition, you may see references to both names, depending on the device you are using (see chart below).
|Skype for Business||Windows|
|Lync 2013||Mobile Devices|
How do I get Skype for Business on my work or university computer?
Office Pro Plus 2016 will be installed on all University owned computers. Skype for Business is part of this install.
How do I get Skype for Business on my personal computer or mobile device?
Check out the Microsoft Advantage Program page for information on obtaining and installing Office Pro Plus on up to 10 of your personal devices!
Getting Started with Skype
These Microsoft links can provide helpful information to get started with Skype for Business (Lync).