F-2 Status

Page Menu

Eligibility for F-2 Status

To qualify for F-2 status, a spouse or unmarried minor (under age 21) must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the Port of Entry that:

  1. The individual is the spouse (marriage license must be provided) or child (birth certificate must be provided) of the F-1 principal.
  2. The individual has sufficient funds to cover living expenses.
  3. Abide by the restrictions and rules on F-2 work and/or study.
  4. The individual intends to leave the United States upon termination of the status of the principal F-1 student.


Lori Hanegraaf, Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)

U.S. Government Contacts

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Customer Service: 800-375-5283 or visit U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Local Office: USCIS Field Office, 2901 Metro Dr., Suite 100, Bloomington, MN 55425

Bureau of Consular Affairs (U.S. Department of State)

For information on passports, visas and international travel, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Back to Top