Request a Short Term Leave of Absence

Page Menu

In the event of an immediate and significant health of family emergency, a student may request a Short Term Leave of Absence (SLOA). A SLOA is intended to provide relief until a long-term solution can be determined or the student resumes his or her academic course of study.

If SLOA is approved, the student will not be penalized for missed class time. Upon return to the academic program, the student is responsible for working with instructors to complete missed assignments and complete the course requirements.

Examples of a significant health or family emergency include (but are not limited to):

  • Death or significant injury of a parent, grandparent, sibling, significant other or child
  • Significant accident injury or major illness that requires hospitalization
  • Health and or safety concerns (risk to self or others)
  • Childbirth

Short-term leave of absence request process

  1. Review the Excused Absence Policy to determine if a Short Term Leave of Absence is required. A student experiencing a significant health or family emergency as described above or requesting excused absences longer than two days should proceed to step 2.
  2. Student submits an online Short Term Leave of Absence Request Form.
  3. Turn in required documentation to the Registrar, Susan Neppl, if documentation was not included in the online request form.
  4. Submitted form is reviewed by the Registrar.
  5. The Registrar may request additional documentation to support the SLOA request
  6. The SLOA request form and supporting documentation is forwarded to the Program Dean for final approval.
  7. The student is notified of the Program Dean's decision. 
  8. If approved, the Office of the Registrar notifies all applicable course instructors of the leave
  9. Student makes arrangements with instructors to make up missed assignments and or course requirements.

If you have questions, contact:

Susan Neppl, Registrar

Academic Calendar

Academic Calendar

Have a Question?

Our staff can help

Contact the Registrar
Contact Us

Back to Top