The primary mission of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) is to assure that, in research involving human subjects, the rights and welfare of the subjects are adequately protected. To achieve this mission, the IRB will:
- Ensure that investigators have designed their research projects to minimize potential harm to human subjects
- Review all planned research involving human subjects prior to initiation of the research
- Approve research that meets established criteria for protection of human subjects
- Monitor approved research to assure that human subjects are protected
- Inform and assist Northwestern Health Sciences University and its researchers on ethical and procedural issues related to use of human subjects in research
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations
The IRB is authorized and organized to review any and all types of research in which human subjects are involved, including projects that are not subject to federal oversight.