Joseph J. Sweere
- Director, H.C. Sweere Center
- H.C. Sweere Center for Clinical Biomechanics and Applied Ergonomics
Office Phone:952-888-4777 ext. 269
Currently Teaching (2017-2018)
As the founder of and an advisor to the H.C. Sweere Center for Clinical Biomechanics and Applied Ergonomics at Northwestern Health Sciences University, I am excited to offer my academic and professional expertise to our Sweere Center clients. I am honored to be considered a leading authority on occupational health, wellness and safety education, as well as on the art, science and philosophy of chiropractic. I have also served as a business consultant to numerous U.S. companies, as well as non-profit, health-related organizations.
I practiced chiropractic in Owatonna, MN for 25 years and have been a full-time chiropractic educator since 1986. Most recently, I taught as a professor in the Department of Diagnostic and Clinical Sciences in the College of Chiropractic at Northwestern. l am the author of Golden Rules for Vibrant Health in Body, Mind and Spirit: A Holistic Approach to Health and Wellness and editor of Chiropractic Family Practice: A Clinical Manual. I am a diplomate with both the American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedists and the American Chiropractic Board of Occupational Health, as well as a fellow with the International College of Chiropractors.
Currently, I serve as chairman of the Rehabilitation Review Panel for the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (MN DOLI) and I have served on the Workers’ Compensation Advisory Board for MN DOLI. I am also the Minnesota chiropractic representative to the Workers’ Compensation Research Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In addition, I am the founder, current president and member of the Board of Directors of the International Academy of Chiropractic Occupational Health Consultants (IACOHC).
At Northwestern, I am also the coordinator of the continuing education programs on occupational health and have been a member of the postgraduate faculty of ten chiropractic colleges. I served as the coordinator and principal instructor of postgraduate orthopedics at Northwestern from 1976 through 1979 and from 1996 through 1999.
In 1999, I was selected to serve as the chiropractic spokesperson at the federal (OSHA) stakeholder’s meetings regarding the Proposed Ergonomics Standard for the prevention of neuromusculoskeletal disorders. From 1980 through 1986, I was the principal investigator for the Viracon Project, an industrial spinal injury prevention program. I am also the developer of the Biomechanical Stress Index (BSI), involving physical and biomechanical screening for the prevention of work-related lower spinal injuries.
- Doctor of Chiropractic – Northwesten College of Chiropractic, 1961
- Diplomate (DABCO) - American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedists
- Diplomate (DACBOH) - American Chiropractic Board of Occupational Health
Sweere, J. Golden Rules for Vibrant Health in Body, Mind and Spirit: A Holistic Approach to Health and Wellness. Basic Health Publications; 2004
Sweere, J. ed. Chiropractic Family Practice: A Clinical Manual. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishers; 1992.
Awards and recognitions
- Fellow (FICC) - International College of Chiropractors
- Minnesota Chiropractic Association (MCA) Outstanding Educator Award, 2009
- Northwestern Health Sciences University Brilliant Star Award (Stars Among Us Gala), 2007
- Council on Occupational Health of the American Chiropractic Association Joseph Sweere Living Legacy Award, 2006
- Northwestern College of Chiropractic Teacher of the Year Award, 1990 and 2006
- MCA John Allenburg Meritorious Award, 2002
- MCA Chiropractor of the Year Award, 1979
- Northwestern Distinguished Alumnus Award – first recipient
- Listed in Marqui’s Who’s Who in the Midwest; Who’s Who in Chiropractic International; Who’s Who among American Teachers; Marqui’s Who’s Who in Industry and Finance; and the Manchester Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals
- Member of the American Chiropractic Association
- Member of the Advisory Council of the International Federation for Holistic Medicine, 1994
- Past President of the Minnesota Chiropractic Association (MCA), 1976
- Featured presenter, World Chiropractic Congress, Rio DeJaneiro, Brazil, 2011
- Presenter of “The Fundamentals of Chiropractic,” Northgate Hospital, Tianjin, China, 2011
- Featured presenter, Alternative Interdisciplinary Conference for the Management and Prevention of Acute and Chronic Pain, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico, 2000
- Featured presenter, Swiss Chiropractic Congress, Basel, Switzerland, 2000
- Speaker, National Safety Council Congress, Los Angeles, California, 1998
- Presenter, World Chiropractic Congresses, London, England, 1993 and Cancun, Mexico, 1994
- Presenter, European Chiropractic Union Convention, Bergen, Norway, 1989
- Featured presenter, International Conference on Occupational Health sponsored by the National Institutes of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Centers for Disease Control, and the U.S. Public Health Service, 1988.
- Presenter on occupational health, World Chiropractic Congress, Sydney, Australia, 1988
- Presenter of technical papers, American Public Health Association Conference, 1986 and 1987