Life In The Twin Cities
Northwestern Health Sciences University is located in the vibrant Twin Cities of Minnesota. Situated in Bloomington, a safe, family-oriented suburb of Minneapolis, you’ll have access to plenty of fun activities just minutes from campus.
Things to do
Whether you want to spend your time in the metropolitan area of Minneapolis, or in family-friendly Bloomington, there are plenty of things to do for fun in the Twin Cities and throughout Minnesota.
Visit Explore Minnesota
To help you and your family find homes, jobs, schools, health care, shopping, restaurants, sporting events, concert schedules and activities in the Twin Cities and Minnesota, check out:
Entertainment and Nightlife:
- Fine dining
- Locally-owned restaurants and bars
- Live theatre (one of the most active theatre regions in the country)
- Sports bars
- Live music and a vibrant local music scene
- Nightclubs and dancing
- Nationally-known comedy clubs
- Two movie theaters within 15 minutes of campus
Shopping and Activities:
- Mall of America and Southdale Mall just short a drive from campus
- Museums, historical centers and art centers within 25 minutes of campus, including the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Guthrie Theater, and Science Museum of Minnesota
- More than 180 parks within Minneapolis, and parks just a short walk from campus
- 50 miles of trails to walk, run, bike, and rollerblade
- Professional football, baseball, basketball and hockey teams. Games are all played within 20 minutes of campus and located directly off of the Light Rail Line. A brand new outdoor baseball stadium opened in 2010.
- Spring – Watch the tulips come up while walking, running, rollerblading, and enjoying local community sporting clubs.
- Summer – Enjoy the lakes and rivers near campus, outdoor concerts, fairs and festivals, and camping. Summer’s end is marked by the Minnesota State Fair – one of the biggest state fairs in the country.
- Fall – A very colorful time of year. Great for hiking, apple picking, horseback riding, hay rides, and fall festivals.
- Winter – Enjoy ski hills and trails, and skating ranks all near campus, ice fishing on local lakes or hunting in nearby woods. The Winter Carnival is a major celebration in nearby St. Paul.
Northwestern is located in a quiet neighborhood in Bloomington, Minnesota. Northwestern is nestled among single family homes, apartments, and shopping areas. In addition, National Night Out, neighborhood watch groups, and an extremely low crime rate keep it a safe and comfortable place to live.
Minneapolis is continuously named one of America’s best cities to live in, according to various surveys. It offers Northwestern students an enjoyable, stimulating location.
A health care mecca
Minnesota is home to:
- Leading biomedical research facilities including the University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic
- HealthPartners – the largest nonprofit healthcare organization in America
- Health industry-leading companies including Medtronic and St. Jude Medical
- Leading university, public and Veterans Administration research hospitals
- Nonprofit hospitals and health systems
Bloomington is located minutes from the Minneapolis/St. Paul international airport. The airport is a hub, providing plenty of nonstop flights for your travel needs. Travel to and from the airport is easy, as the MetroTransit Light Rail system has several stations in Bloomington.
Airport shuttles, taxi cab companies, and reasonably-priced airport parking are other options for the commute.