Massage Therapy Services at the Bloomington Clinic
Massage Therapy Services at the Bloomington Clinic is a form of health care. Massage therapy consists of manual manipulation of muscle and connective tissue to promote relaxation, rehabilitation, and rejuvenation.
Get to know our Massage Therapists.
Massage therapy received on a regular basis can:
Alleviate physical conditions:
- Ease muscle and joint pain
- Prevent illness and injury
- Improve range of motion and joint flexibility
- Relax tight, tired, or overused muscles
- Reduce muscle spasms and cramping
- Relieve headache and migraine pain
- Prevent or relieve sports and work-related injuries
- Exercise and stretch weak, tight or atrophied muscles
Enhance emotional well-being:
- Reduce tension and stress
- Enhance a sense of well-being and comfort
- Improve mood
- Reduce anxiety, depression and anger
- Increase energy and vitality
Promote additional physical benefits:
- Improve sleep
- Enhance blood circulation
- Support the body’s immune system
- Strengthen connective tissue, joints and muscles
Massage therapy techniques
The benefits of massage therapy are achieved through various massage therapy techniques.
Craniosacral Therapy is a gentle whole-body technique that uses light touch to move fluids in and around the central nervous system and release the body’s connective tissue (fascia). CST can relieve tension and may provide relief from symptoms including headaches, neck pain, low back pain, and concussion.
Cross Fiber Friction
Cross-Fiber Friction is a deep tissue, non-gliding technique where pressure is applied and moved across muscle fibers. It’s most often used to break up scar tissue. The technique causes discomfort which will subside once scar tissue goes away, and remaining tissue realigns. The end result is reduced pain and increased muscle or joint mobility.
Swedish Massage, commonly referred to as relaxation massage, uses five main strokes to achieve relaxation effects. These techniques increase oxygen flow in the blood and release toxins from the muscle, which rejuvenates the body.
Trigger Point Therapy
Trigger Point Therapy applies focused pressure to tender muscle tissue through a variety of techniques to relieve pain and dysfunction. These strained areas are often referred to as “knots.”