Title IX: Addressing Sexual Misconduct

What is Title IX?

Welcome to the Title IX website, a resource on sexual misconduct for students, faculty, staff, and visitors who are part of the Northwestern Health Sciences University Community.

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education. It reads:

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and its implementing regulation at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX)

Northwestern Health Sciences University is committed to providing a learning and working environment that promotes personal integrity, civility and mutual respect in an environment free of sexual misconduct and discrimination. Sexual discrimination violates an individual’s fundamental rights and personal dignity. Northwestern Health Sciences University considers sexual discrimination in all its forms to be a serious offense. This resource refers to all forms of sexual discrimination, including: sexual harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence by employees, students, or third parties. (Title 20 U.S.C. Sections 1681-1688)

Further information can be found on the website of the United States Department of Education Office of Civil Rights

Title IX Team

To file a complaint against a Northwestern Health Sciences University student, faculty, staff, or visitor you should contact:

Hannah Beasley
Human Resources Generalist & Title IX Team

Mary Gale
Vice President, Human Resources & Employee Title IX Coordinator & Title IX Team

Anthony Molinar
Dean of Students & Student Title IX Coordinator & Title IX Team

Kara Warren
Assistant Dean of Students & Title IX Team

In compliance with Title IX, Northwestern does not deny or limit any student or employee the ability to participate in or benefit from any program offered by the institution based on sex or gender.

Use the Title IX Reporting Hotline

Our hotline is hosted by a secure, independent provider, EthicsPoint – so you can be assured that your report is handled confidentially. You may remain anonymous and the IP address of your computer cannot be traced. Reports will provided to the Vice President of Human Resources. It should be understood that an investigation may be hampered or be impracticable if the Reporting Person cannot be identified and questioned about the incident and related facts.

Make a Report

For information and assistance, refer to:

Annual Security Report 2023 (pdf)
Title IX Policy (pdf)
Student Handbook – full list of University policies related to academics and student life
Non Discrimination and Non Harassment (pdf)
Notice of Non-Discrimination (pdf)

Note:  for the time being you can leave the rest of this section as is for now.  We will have more updates later this summer/early fall.

Emergency contacts:
  • Campus Safety: ext. 555
  • Local Police:
  • Bloomington Police (952) 563-4900
On-campus Resources:
  • Student Title IX Coordinator: 952-888-4777 x167
  • Employee Title IX Coordinator: (952) 885-5437

Confidential Student Resources:

Confidential Counseling Services  are available 24/7 through StudentLinc with access to a licensed mental health professional for immediate support, and options to schedule subsequent in-person or virtual counseling appointments.  Please call 1-888-893-5462.

For additional information please contact the Mental Health Program Manager at 952-885-5405 or studentaffairs@nwhealth.edu

Confidential Employee Resource:

Other Off Campus Resources:
  • Local Police
    • 9-1-1
    • Bloomington Police (952) 563-4900
  • Cornerstone is a violence prevention organization based in Bloomington, MN: http://cornerstonemn.org/about-us/. 24-hour crises line: 1-866-223-1111 or 952-884-0376
  • Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) Acute Psychiatric Services, Phone: 612-873-3161
    • Suicide Hotline: 612-873-2222
    • 24-hour phone and walk-in service for evaluation and treatment of behavioral emergencies and significant life crisis.
  • Sexual Violence Center – 612-871-5111, Minneapolis Office: 3757 Fremont Ave. N., Chaska Office: 500 North Pine St., Suite 303
    • 24-hour phone counseling, support groups, education, and individual counseling for victims, and loved ones of victims, who have experienced any form of unwanted sexual contact.
  • The Walk in Counseling Center: Phone: 612-870-0565, www.walkin.org, 2421 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis. Crisis intervention and short-term counseling to individuals, couples and families. No appointment is necessary during counseling hours. These services are free, but donations are appreciated.
  • Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault, 161 St. Anthony Avenue, Suite 1001, St. Paul, MN 55103, Phone: 651-209-9993, Toll-Free: 1-800-964-8847, www.mncasa.org
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline (800) 799-SAFE (7233)
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline (800) 656- HOPE (4673)

Health Care Resources: We encourage you to seek immediate medical attention regardless of whether you report the matter to law enforcement or the University.

  • Fairview Southdale Hospital, 6401 France Avenue South, Edina, MN (952) 924-5000
  • Allina Health, Abbott Northwestern Hospital, 800 East 28th Street, Minneapolis, MN (612) 863-4000
  • Park Nicollet-Methodist Hospital, 6500 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park, MN (952) 993-6600,

County Resources regarding orders of protection, no contact order, or restraining orders:

  • Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Service Center (612) 348-5073
  • Ramsey County Domestic Abuse and Harassment Office (651) 266-5130

University staff responding to an incident of sexual violence will inform the victim of the options to notify law enforcement authorities, seek medical assistance and the university’s reporting process; and will assist the victim with these contacts if the victim requests such assistance.

The victim may report to the police, to the university, or both. The University recognizes that the decision to report sexual violence to the police is the right of the victim. However, the University strongly encourages the reporting of sexual violence to the appropriate officials.

Questions & Answers:
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the University’s Sexual Harassment/Violence policy and procedures.

Does the complaint remain confidential?

The privacy of all parties to a complaint of sexual harassment/violence must be strictly observed, except insofar as it interferes with the University’s obligation to fully investigate allegations of sexual harassment/violence. Where privacy is not strictly kept, it will still be tightly controlled on a need‐to‐know basis. Dissemination of information to persons not involved in the complaint procedure does not occur. In all complaints of sexual harassment/violence, the complainant & respondent will be informed of the outcome. In some instances, the administration also may choose to make a brief announcement of the nature of the violation and the action taken, using no names. Certain university administrators are informed on a confidential basis. The University also must statistically report the occurrence on campus of major violent crimes, including certain sex offenses, in an annual report of campus crime statistics. This statistical report does not include personally identifiable information.

Do I have to name the Respondent?

Yes, if you want a formal investigation and possible corrective action to be taken against the alleged Respondent. No, if you choose to not file a complaint.

What do I do if I am accused of sexual misconduct?

Do not contact the alleged complainant. You may contact the Title IX Coordinator listed above who can explain the University’s process for sexual misconduct complaints. You may also want to talk to on-campus or off-campus confidential resources.

What do I do about preserving evidence of a sexual assault?

It is important to preserve any physical evidence of a criminal sexual assault which would be used for criminal prosecution. If you believe you have been a victim of a criminal sexual assault, you should contact the Bloomington Police 952-563-4900 or call 9-1-1.

When you go to a hospital emergency room, they will collect evidence, check for injuries, and address the possibility of exposure to sexually transmitted infections. Furthermore, if you have changed clothing since the assault, bring the clothing you had on at the time of the assault with you to the hospital in a clean, sanitary container. For instance, a clean paper grocery bag or wrapped in a clean sheet (plastic containers do not breathe and may render evidence useless).

Keep in mind, if you have not changed clothes, bring a change of clothes with you to the hospital, if possible, as they may keep the clothes you are wearing as evidence. You can take a support person with you to the hospital, and they can accompany you through the exam, if you want. Do not disturb the crime scene—leave all sheets, towels, etc. that may bear evidence for the police to collect.