Borrowing and Renewing
A student ID card or other picture ID is required to check out materials. Alumni, practitioners and members of the general public must show a picture ID when checking out library materials.
General Loan Information
- 2 renewal limit in general (Exceptions: Reserves depend on demand and Inter-Library Loan materials may not be renewable – consult our Inter-Library Loan Librarian when borrowing)
- No checkout limit for students but all materials must be returned before graduation (Contact the Public Services Librarian for exceptions)
- 10 item checkout limit for Northwestern graduates
- 5 item checkout limit for members of the public
|Regular books||4 week|
|7-day books||1 week|
|Other AV materials||4 weeks|
|Reference materials||2 hours|
|Reserve materials and Archives materials||2 hours|
(Archives materials must stay in the library)
|Club materials||4 weeks/videos 1 week|
|Software/CD-ROMs||2 hours or 4 weeks, depending on item|
Patrons may renew their materials – if no one else is waiting to use them (reserves) or has them on hold (general collection) – by calling the Information Desk at 952-885-5419, visiting the library, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reserve items may be renewed in person for an extra 2 hours if they are not in demand.
- Reserve materials: $2.00 an hour or portion of an hour overdue, up to $10.00 a day
- Videos and DVDs: $1.00 per day overdue
- Fines may be waived at the discretion of the Public Services Librarian. Email the library for more info.
A regular item that is 2 months overdue is considered lost. A reserve item which has been checked out for 3 days is considered lost. The patron is billed for the replacement cost of the item and a $25.00 processing fee.
For practitioners and other off-campus users
We prefer you initialize an interlibrary loan request with your local library if you are unable to come to campus in person. In the event that is not feasible, literature searches and articles can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed at the patron’s convenience for a fee. Books, audiotapes and kits can be sent via mail or UPS. Videotapes/DVDs must be borrowed in person, but can be returned via mail or UPS.
For more information and current fees, ask a librarian or call 952-885-5419.
About library materials
The Greenawalt Library at Northwestern collects books, videos, sound recordings, journals and software. These materials are available for Northwestern students, staff, and faculty to use, and except for reference books and journals, all may be borrowed. Practitioners and the general public are also welcome to use the library’s resources.