Disability Services for Prospective StudentsPage Menu
Working with Disability Services
Northwestern provides reasonable accommodations and services for students with documented disabilities to provide equal access to our programs. This is in compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Services available to you
We determine eligibility and appropriateness of services on an individual basis, by reviewing documentation of the disability and consulting with the student.
To learn about the services available to you, contact:
Becky Lawyer, MA, LPC
Director, Academic Success Center
Qualifying for services
You must document:
- An impairment that substantially limits a major life activity
- The current impact of your impairment
- How it affects your ability to function in an academic setting
- A rationale and an objective basis for the accommodations you request
- Documentation of disability must be current and comprehensive. Review documentation guidelines (pdf) .
- Eligibility guidelines and accommodations might differ from your high school or other colleges you have attended.
- An Individualized Education Plan or 504 Plan alone is not sufficient documentation.
- Documentation should be submitted only after you’ve been admitted to Northwestern.