Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program
How to Apply
The Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program allows students with a bachelor’s degree to complete the prerequisite requirements for a healthcare professional school. We offer a comprehensive curriculum for students who are seeking Post-Bacc Pre-Med or other pre-health coursework.
Students may complete the entire 41-credit program or choose individual courses to meet their educational goals.
Our program is designed for students interested in pursuing a career in:
- Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine
- Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing
- Physician’s Assistant, Physical Therapy
- Many other related health care fields
Who can apply
Our Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and:
- Have not yet completed their science or general pre-professional prerequisites
- Would like to enhance their current records or improve their GPA
- Are seeking a career change to a healthcare profession
- Plan to complete Post Baccalaureate Pre-Med coursework
If you have not completed a bachelor’s degree, check out our Bachelor of Science in Human Biology completion program.
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to check with their intended institution’s Admissions Office to ensure that our Post Baccalaureate Premed/Pre-Health coursework meets the prerequisite requirements. We do not advise or guarantee compatibility with the requirements of other institutions or programs.
Benefits of our Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program
Completing Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Med/Pre-Health courses allows you to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to prepare for professional school and to become successful in a healthcare profession. Our program offers an exceptional experience and unique advantages, including:
Create a custom plan: Tailor your coursework to fit your individual needs and goals by choosing from a range of courses in Human Biology as well as our Health Professions Core, which includes relevant Social Sciences and Humanities courses with an emphasis on health care.
Prepare for pre-professional entrance exams: Our rigorous curriculum prepares you well for pre-professional entrance exams (MCAT, DAT) and the academic demands of a healthcare professional school.
Be supported and mentored: Our experienced professors provide mentoring and encouragement in a supportive, healthcare setting. You'll receive individual attention in our small class sizes - but you also enjoy all the benefits of a large University.
Learn close to home: We offer a one-stop, comprehensive Post-Bacc PreMed/Pre-Health midwest-based program right here in Minnesota – so you don’t have to travel far from home to complete your pre-professional coursework. Our campus is located in Bloomington, a suburb of Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Learn more about our academic advantages.
Course Requirements and Curriculum Overview
You may complete the entire 41-credit program or choose individual courses that fit your needs.
Total of 41 credits in:
- Science and Math Requirement (Section A)
- Health Care Professions Core Requirement (Section B)
Section A: Science and Math Requirement (35 credits total)
Several of our science courses are offered in accelerated format, allowing you to complete one full academic year of a two-course sequence in only one 15-week trimester - half the time it typically takes in other Post-Bacc PreMed/Pre-Health programs.
Foundational Sciences (complete these 27 credits):
- CHEM2048: General Chemistry 1 (4 credits)
- CHEM2049: General Chemistry 2 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: General Chemistry 1
- CHEM2058: Organic Chemistry 1 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: General Chemistry 1
- CHEM2059:Organic Chemistry 2 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Organic Chemistry 1
- MATH1005 Foundations of Math (3 credits)
- PHYS2040: General Physics 1 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Math
- PHYS2041: General Physics 2 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: General Physics 1
Biological Sciences (complete a selection of 8 credits):
- ANAT1001 Anatomy and Physiology 1 (4 credits)
- ANAT1002 Anatomy and Physiology 2 (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Anatomy and Physiology 1
- BIOL1002 Introduction to Biology (4 credits)
- BIOL1004 Cell Biology (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL1058 Biology Today (2 credits) - Prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL2011 Biochemistry (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Organic Chemistry 2
- BIOL2014 Microbiology (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Introduction to Biology
- BIOL2037 Genetics (4 credits) - Prerequisite: Cell Biology
- SBS1500 Medical Terminology (1 credit)
Section B: Health Professions Core Requirement (complete a selection of 6 credits):
- ANTH1002 Human Origins (4 credits)
- ANTH3001 Culture and Health (4 credits)
- PSYC1002 Health Psychology (4 credits)
- PSYC2008 Psychology of Addiction (3 credits)
- SOC1006 Sex and Gender (3 credits)
- SPAN1001 Spanish for Health Professionals (3 credits)
- UGE3710 Communication Skills (3 credits)
- UGE3720 Philosophy of Science (3 credits)
- UGE3730 Bioethics (3 credits)
- UGE3740 Understanding and Using Research (3 credits)
Completion Requirements (full program)
Our Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program is a recommended course of study. You may complete the entire 41-credit program if it fits your educational goals – or you may choose individual courses. The full program completion requirements are:
- Completion of Science and Math Requirement (Section A)
- Completion of Health Professions Core Requirement (Section B)
- Of the 41 credits, at least 18 of the Science and Math (Section A) credits and 6 of the Health Professions Core (Section B) credits must be completed at Northwestern Health Sciences University
Tuition and fees
Review the current tuition and fees.
Financial aid is available for those who qualify. If you have questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid.
Questions? We're here to help!
For more information or to review your eligibility for the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program or to discuss your Post-Bacc Pre-Med/Pre-Health goals, contact:
- Your Admissions Representative, OR
- The Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-855-885-5409 (toll-free)
Northwestern Health Sciences University reserves the right to change or discontinue academic programs at the University's discretion.