American Chiropractic Association Elects Dr. Michele Maiers to Serve as President
Northwestern Health Sciences University students and alumni recognized by ACA for significant contributions to chiropractic profession.
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. – February 17, 2021 – Northwestern Health Sciences University (NWHSU), the premier evidence-based integrative health learning center, is proud to recognize the announcement of Dr. Michele Maiers, executive director of research and innovation at NWHSU, as the newly elected president of the American Chiropractic Association (ACA) for a one-year term.
Dr. Maiers is the first woman to serve as ACA’s president. As a member of ACA’s board since 2016, Dr. Maiers is an integral part of the association’s mission to inspire and empower members to elevate the health and wellness of their communities.
“We are extremely proud of Dr. Maiers’ commitment to the chiropractic profession and her work to enhance our healthcare system and communities through the benefits of natural care,” said Dr. Deb Bushway, president and CEO of NWHSU. “Through our continued partnership and collaboration, we look forward to Dr. Maiers’ leadership with the ACA governing body to advance chiropractic care.”
As president, Dr. Maiers is committed to leading a modern movement of chiropractic care that transforms the way people receive and envision healthcare. This effort will build upon her work at NWHSU to produce original research that informs clinical practice and shapes public health policy.
“It is an honor to serve as ACA president for the upcoming term. I am also proud to be the first woman in this role and see this as an opportunity to elevate diverse voices within chiropractic leadership,” said Dr. Maiers. “I look forward to continuing the association’s work with many dedicated professionals and positioning chiropractic care as a crucial part of our healthcare system.”
The ACA has also appointed NWHSU current student, Ben Degenhardt, as the Student American Chiropractic Association (SACA) Chapter Legislative Representative, honored NWHSU alumni Dr. Taylor Carr and Dr. Scott Hartung with the ACA’s Humanitarian of the Year Award and presented NWHSU Alumni Dr. William “Beau” Foshee with the ACA President’s Award and NextGen Member of the Year Award.
- Ben Degenhardt appointed as the SACA Chapter Legislative Representative. Currently, Mr. Degenhardt is enrolled in the NWHSU chiropractic program. In 2020, he worked with Mayor Tim Busse, to proclaim October National Chiropractic Health Month in Bloomington, MN and previously followed his passion for advancing legislation to Washington, D.C. for two ACA Engage conferences.
- Taylor Carr and Dr. Scott Hartung received ACA’s Humanitarian of the Year Award. NWHSU alumni, Drs. Carr and Hartung, along with their colleagues at the Carr Chiropractic Clinics, are being recognized for their coordination of COVID-related public health response in their community, which includes establishing a drive-through testing site and call center during the pandemic. Dr. Carr earned his doctor of chiropractic from NWHSU in 2016 and holds a certification in acupuncture. Dr. Hartung earned his doctor of chiropractic from NWHSU in 2001 and has a bachelor’s of science from the University of South Dakota.
- William “Beau” Foshee received ACA’s President’s Award and NextGen Member of the Year Award. NWHSU alumni, Dr. Foshee has been awarded ACA’s NextGen Member of the Year Award, officially called the Dr. Michele Maiers Leadership Award, for his exceptional service, achievement and leadership to the chiropractic profession. For his dedication to supporting ACA’s previous President, Robert C. Jones, Dr. Foshee was also awarded the President’s Award for elevating members’ perspectives. Dr. Foshee earned his doctor of chiropractic from NWHSU in 2017 – he also served as the student body president.
“It has always been our mission at NWHSU to not just provide natural care services, but to train the next generation of innovative healthcare professionals and be great stewards of the profession. Mr. Degenhardt, Dr. Carr, Dr. Hartung and Dr. Foshee are embodying what it means to be a NWHSU student and alumni through their passion for making change and impacting community through care,” said Dr. Bushway.
NWHSU is dedicated to the chiropractic community and will continue its involvement in associations to further its mission of making complementary and integrative care an essential part of healthcare.
Download the Press Release
- NWHSU’s Michele Maiers Honored with Creation of ACA Leadership Award
- NWHSU’s Maiers named to national leadership role
- NWHSU Alum receives Delegate of the Year award from ACA
- NWHSU student and fellow honored by ACA Sports Council
- ACA Presents Alternate Delegate of the Year Award to NWHSU Alum Heidi Henson
- ACA Convenes Stakeholder Forum at NWHSU to Address Opioid Crisis, Collaboration
- Northwestern’s Maiers named to leadership roles