Minnesota Immunization Requirement

All students, even exempted students, must submit an immunization form.
Minnesota State Law (M.S. 135A.14) requires proof that all students born after December 31, 1956 and enrolled in a public or private post-secondary school in Minnesota be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, measles (rubeola, red measles), mumps and rubella (German measles) – allowing for certain specified exemptions (see below).

The law requires that Northwestern has proof of a student’s compliance by having a Minnesota Immunization Form in their file and available for review by the Minnesota Department of Health and the local community health board.

Any non-exempt student who does not submit the required information within 45 days after first enrollment cannot remain enrolled at Northwestern.


You must submit an online immunization form. However, if you meet one of the following exemptions, you are not required to provide immunization information on the form:

  • You were born on or before Dec. 31, 1956
  • You graduated from a Minnesota high school in 1997 or later
  • You are a transfer student – or graduated – from another Minnesota college or university (post-secondary school)
  • You have a medical or conscientious exemption (see “Special instructions” below)

Required immunizations

  • Diphtheria/Tetanus (Td or Tdap) – must be within 10 years of your enrollment date at Northwestern
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) – 1 dose after age 12 months (2 doses recommended)

Submit your online immunization form

You must complete the form – even if you are exempt from providing immunization information. Do not send medical records.

Please fill out the form in the Student Application portal.

Special instructions – medical and conscientious exemptions

Print out and complete a hard copy (pdf) of the immunization form if you have the following exemptions (see form for details):

  • Medical exemption – a physician’s signature is required on the form
  • Conscientious exemption – the form must be notarized

You must complete the form. Do not send medical records, draw brackets or use ditto marks.
Submit the completed form to the Office of Admissions prior to the start of classes.

Disclaimer: Vaccines may be required for certain clinical rotations. This decision is made by the clinical site and health care organization leadership. University faculty and staff will support processes to inform students when a site requires vaccinations, but it remains the student’s responsibility to be aware of and meet all site requirements

For questions, contact:
Office of Admissions
Phone: 952-885-5409

For more information:
Minnesota Department of Health immunization information
Tips on how to locate your records (or if you are unable to locate your records)