Diversity Leadership Scholarship
Purpose of the Diversity Leadership Scholarship for Current Students
The goals of the Diversity Leadership Scholarship for Current Students is:
- To foster an environment that appreciates and values an increasingly diverse student body.
- To increase the recruitment, retention, and graduation of a diverse student body.
- To develop student interest, involvement, and leadership in diversity, inclusion and/or social justice initiatives.
The Diversity Leadership Scholarship for Current Students covers 25% of the cost of the amount of tuition to students who exemplify these goals. The scholarship is awarded to one qualified current student who is enrolled in one of these programs:
- Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Program
- BS in Medical Laboratory Science
- Doctor of Chiropractic Program
- Massage Therapy (certificate and A.A.S. degree)*
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Radiation Therapy
- Radiologic Technology
- Undergraduate Health Sciences
* Shiatsu Certificate is not eligible for scholarships
Scholarship recipients receive an award equal to 25% of the academic program tuition for each term during which the student remains eligible.
To qualify for this scholarship applicants must:
- Demonstrate financial need
- Minimum 2.50 GPA
- Meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Be a first generation college student
- Be a member of an underrepresented or marginalized group (including but not limited to underrepresented racial populations, women, LGBTQI, low income, individuals with disabilities, etc.)
- Have overcome personal, social and/or physical obstacles pursuing an education and/or be from a living environment or academic setting that may have hindered educational pursuits
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and/or leadership in working with underrepresented groups, through employment, community service or other involvement.
- Allied Health, Massage Therapy, and Undergraduate Health Science students are eligible to apply for the Leadership Scholarship in their first trimester.
- Chiropractic and Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine students are eligible to apply for the Leadership Scholarship in their third, or later, trimester.
- Complete the application procedure (see below)
Scholarship Renewal Criteria
The expectations of the Diversity Leadership Scholarship for Current Students take commitment, time and effort while you are in school. Applicants should take this into consideration when applying.
In order to maintain scholarship eligibility, you must
- Maintain a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA
- Make satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree
- Participate in Office of Diversity and Inclusion programs and complete at least 10 hours of service, engagement, and/or Admissions recruitment events (i.e. Discovery Days, PRIDE tabling, college fairs, etc.) each trimester
- Adhere to the other expectations outlined in the Diversity Scholars Contract
- Be a positive advocate for and professional representative of the university’s diversity efforts
Scholarship Financial Parameters
- Current students are eligible to apply for the Leadership Scholarship once each trimester in which the scholarship is offered. Recommendations from previous scholarship application cycles may be used upon request.
- Students may receive other scholarships that are equal or less than the remaining portion of their tuition. However, students are not eligible to receive a combination of scholarships and/or tuition remission benefits totaling more than 100% of the cost of their tuition.
- The Diversity Scholarship Committee reserves the responsibility to not award the scholarship if there are no qualified applicants.
To apply for the Diversity Leadership Scholarship for Current Students:
- Complete a Scholarship Application*, including:
a. Personal Statement (300-500 words). An essay in which you:
i. Discuss how you meet the scholarship criteria (See Eligibility Criteria above),
ii. Describe how you have demonstrated your commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, or social justice through your work experience, service or other involvements,
iii. Explain your plan to continue your commitment to diversity and inclusion, and your work with underrepresented and marginalized groups after graduation.
b. Résumé of Relevant Experience. Your résumé should highlight the work, service, and leadership experiences you have had serving underrepresented populations and/or that demonstrate your commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and/or social justice.
c. Statement of Financial Need (300 word maximum). An essay explaining financial need, including availability of student loans, and all other sources of financial contribution other financial aid.
d. Two (2) Professional Letters of Recommendation. Two (2) letters of recommendation from professional references who can speak about your qualifications for this scholarship, your commitment to diversity and inclusion, and/or your work/service with underrepresented/marginalized groups. Letters must be from a professional source. Once you submit your application you will receive a link to a form to send to your references to complete online. Only two recommendations per applicant will be accepted. Letters that are sent in by the applicant will not be included in the application.
2. If you are selected to compete for the scholarship, you will engage in personal and group interviews with the Diversity Scholarship Committee.
Please direct questions about the application process to Erin Kahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions about expectations of scholarship recipients, please reach out to Student Affairs at email@example.com.
*Paper and emailed applications, and applications that were not sent through the electronic application will not be accepted.
Scholarship Application Deadlines
The summer 2023 application cycle is now open!
Current Students: Chiropractic, Acupuncture & Chinese medicine, Massage Therapy, Undergraduate Health Sciences, and Allied Health Programs.
- Final application deadline: Friday, April 7th at 11:59pm for completion of the application, including letter of recommendation.
- Interview by invitation only: Monday, April 17th
Diversity Leadership Scholarship applicants are notified via email about interview status approximately two weeks after the deadline date. Those who are selected to interview will find out about the scholarship award within two weeks following the interviews.
Upon Completion of Your Education
By reducing your educational debt, the Diversity Leadership Scholarship allows you to focus your time and energy on serving your community through your clinical practice. The ultimate goal of this scholarship is to inspire you to continue to serve communities in need of health care after graduation and to keep you engaged with the campus community. Therefore, upon graduation, Diversity Leadership Scholarship recipients will serve two years as Alumni Ambassadors under the guidance and supervision of the Director of Admissions.
Upon receipt of a scholarship award, an adjustment may be made to your financial aid package to meet federal regulations and institutional policies.