Canadian Students FAQ

Canadian students: Here’s what you need to know

Here at Northwestern Health Sciences University, we have a history of making our Canadian students feel at home. We know you have questions, so we have put together the following frequently asked questions and answers for you.

If you still have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of the contacts listed below.

What is the process for applying for a student visa?

Please refer to the International Student Life Cycle for all the steps you need to take before becoming a student at NWHSU. Keep in mind that you need to be accepted into the College of Chiropractic prior to submitting your visa application.

You will need to submit a Certificate Of Finances (PDF). Please see our Certificate Of Finances Example (PDF) document for guidance.

We also have an NWHSU International Checklist you may reference that lays out the steps you will need to take, and when. Canadian students may not be required to complete a World Education Services® evaluation so please sure to reach out to admissions for details.

How do Canadian students pay for school?

For Canadian students beginning the doctor of chiropractic program, we offer a tuition adjustment based on the currency exchange rate between the U.S. and Canada. The maximum reduction of tuition is 25 percent for Fall 2022 and beyond. You can read more about the Canadian tuition currency exchange adjustment here.

What financial aid resources are available?

We have compiled information in our Canadian Financial Resource Guide that will help you plan the financing of your education at Northwestern Health Sciences University.

How can I find out about housing?

While Northwestern Health Sciences University does not have on-campus housing, you will find many housing options close to campus – some within walking distance. We maintain and regularly update a housing newsletter that features rental homes nearby.

How can I get involved on campus?

Northwestern Health Sciences University offers more than 50 campus clubs, one of which is the Canadian Club. The purpose of NWHSU’s Canadian Club is to provide information and create networking opportunities for students wishing to practice chiropractic, acupuncture or massage therapy in Canada, as well as create an authentic Canadian cultural experience on campus.

What is it like to live and learn in the Twin Cities?

You will quickly discover that the Twin Cities metropolitan area is one of the most culturally rich, health-conscious, and fun places to live, study and practice. Ranked #1 in the U.S. for healthy living by, Minneapolis-St. Paul offers an extensive park system, recreational centers, adult hockey leagues, biking and hiking trails, and much more. Learn more about our wonderful area here.

Which version of the boards should I take – U.S. or Canada?

Canadian students usually take the Canadian and the U.S. board exams to get their license in both countries in order to practice in either country. Your choice will depend on where you see yourself practicing once you graduate, and beyond. As a Canadian student at NWHSU you will have the option to take the U.S. board exam on campus during your time here.

How do chiropractic students take their Canadian board exams?

NWHSU offers Canadian chiropractic students board prep materials for students heading back to take the exam. Historically, our students have been successful in obtaining licenses and going back to Canada, but we do not have the exact statistics.

There are three components to the exam. Canadian students are responsible for scheduling and traveling to take each exam (locations and dates are on the CCEB website).

Here is an overview of the process, including information on when to take the exam.

How much do the Canadian board exams cost?
The Canadian board exam has three components, and each has an associated fee.

Exam Fees*
Component A: Basic & Applied Sciences $750 (Canadian Sites)
$1125 (International)
Component B: Clinical Decision Making & Diagnostic Imaging $750 (Canadian Sites)
$1125 (International)
Component C: Clinical Skills Evaluation  $1500


Other Fees
Administration $150
Late Fee (Components A & B)  $375
Request for a Retabulation $150
Other $150
Appeal Policy  See appeal fees

Subject to change. Please visit the CCEB website for the most current information.

*Please note: Fee increases may go into effect.

Can I work work in the U.S. while in school or after graduation?

Check out our International Student Checklist resource or contact the Office of Student Affairs directly for any questions/concerns relating to Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Support contacts for Canadian students

Kara Warren, Assistant Dean of Students

Lori Hanegraaf, Student Programs and Services Manager

Contact Kara or Lori about I-20s, student visa status, or other immigration-related questions.

Aimee Hood, Financial Aid Counselor

Contact Aimee about proof of enrollment letters for insurance purposes (both car and health), OSAP forms, and confirmation of enrollment forms for Canadian loans and enrollment letters for banks.


Our code number is B591. Include this code number when indicating that Northwestern should receive your test score. Your score will then be directly sent to us.

Have questions or need assistance? Our admissions counselors are here to help. Call 952-885-5409 or contact us via Live Chat.